Risk of Rain 2 is a multiplayer third-person shooter released for Windows in March 2019. It has since garnered great comments and reviews, but some users claim that playing the game in multiplayer is simply impossible. Some claim that multiplayer is broken, but there are methods other players use to solve the problem.
We have summarized these methods in a single article for you to check out. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully and the problem should be resolved in no time. Much luck!
What causes Risk of Rain 2 multiplayer not working on Windows?
There are several possible causes that you should check below to properly identify your scenario:
- The game is blocked by Windows Defender Firewall- It is entirely possible that certain aspects of the game's internet connection are blocked by the Windows Defender Firewall and you should consider making an exception for the game's executable.
- Some game files are missing or corrupted- Various things can corrupt or delete game files which in turn causes various issues like this one. Luckily, Steam lets you easily scan and re-download them!
- Game ports are blocked in your router- This is a more advanced issue as it is possible that the router has assigned the same ports that the game uses for different purposes. Luckily, you can change that by forwarding these ports.
Solution 1: Allow the game through Windows Firewall
In order for a game's multiplayer features to work properly, the game must have uninterrupted access to the internet and its servers in order to function properly. Windows Defender Firewall is often to blame in such cases and we recommend you to make an exception for the game executable inside Windows Defender Firewall!
- Open upSwitchboardby searching for the utility on the Start button or by clicking the Search button or the Cortana button on the left portion of your taskbar (lower left portion of your screen).
- After the Control Panel opens, change the view to Large or Small icons and navigate down to open theWindows Defender-Firewall.
- Click Windows Defender Firewall and click theAllow an app or feature through Windows Firewalloption from the list of options on the left. A list of installed apps should open. Navigate to where you installed Steam (by default C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam), open theSteamappsfolder, navigate totogether>>Danger of rain 2and choose theDanger of rain 2.exeFile.
- Before checking if the multiplayer not working issue persists, click OK and restart your computer!
Solution 2: Check the integrity of the game files
When some game files are lost or corrupted, various issues can arise, including multiplayer just not working issue. However, it is very easy to replace broken files and download missing files when installing the game through Steam. You can check game files and see if the problem is fixed!
- Open upsteamon your computer by double-clicking the icon on the desktop or by searching for "Steam" in the start menu. Windows 10 users can also search for it using Cortana or the search bar, both located next to the Start menu on the taskbar.
- Navigate tolibraryTab in the Steam window that opens when you click thelibraryTab at the top of the window and SearchDanger of rain 2in the list of games you have in your respective library.
- Right-click the game's icon in the list and select itCharacteristicsoption from the context menu that opens. Make sure you navigatelocal filesTab from the top navigation menu.
- press theCheck the integrity of the game filesbutton at the bottom of the window and wait for the tool to finish searching for your game files. The tool should download any missing or corrupted files and you should then launch Risk of Rain 2 to see if multiplayer is now working!
Solution 3: Port Forwarding
Configuring a static IP for your PC is a simple process and can be easily managed. You can use it to open specific ports used by the game. Users have suggested that this worked for them, and it makes sense considering the game needs these ports for its multiplayer feature to work properly.
- Make sure you open acommand promptwindow by searching for "cmd" or "command prompt' in the start menu.
- Enter the command shown below and scroll down to the network adapter that corresponds to the connection you are using. Take noteStandard-Gateway,subnet mask,MACAndDNS
- After that, use theWindows + R-TasteCombo that should open immediatelyRunDialog box in which you must enter the following:ncpa.pcs’ in the bar and tap OK to open theinternet connectionsetting itemSwitchboard.
- Left-click your active network adapter and click theCharacteristicsFind themInternetprotokoll Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)item on the list. Tap to select it and clickCharacteristicsbutton below.
- stay inGenerallytab and switch the radio button in the properties window to "Use the following DNS server addresses' and use8.8.8And22.214.171.124or switch to "Use the following IP address' and use the same number as thatStandard-Gatewayif you write down the last digit after the last point, something else. Complete the other information as you noted it.
It's time to login to your router and allow some ports.
- Open your favoriteweb browser, Give yourStandard-GatewayEnter number (IP address) in the address bar and pressInput. Enter the username and password. It should be available online.
- First find theEnable manual assignmentSetting and click the radio button next toAnd. Locate the window where you can enter theMAC-Addressand theIP AddressYour choice, so enter everything you collected in the previous steps for your specific computer.
- After you have done that, click on theAdd tooption and you have now added your console's IP address to your router.
- Find theport forwardingsection while still logged into your router's user interface. Each router provides different steps for this.
- Enter a range of ports to open onStartAndEndor use individual ports for internal and external traffic. Especially forDanger of rain 2, there are several panes you need to open in your router which are listed below:
TCP: 27015-27030, 27036-27037
UDP: 4380, 27000-27031, 27036
- Enter thestatic IP addressyou created for your PC in the above steps and make sure to clickMake possibleOption if available.
- Click on thatSave on computerorUsebutton and make sure to restart both your router and your PC to fully apply these changes. Check if you still have multiplayer problems when playing Risk of Rain 2 in multiplayer!
- Fix: Risk of rain Black screen
- How do you detect precipitation with a rain sensor?
- How to fix Dying Light 2 multiplayer not working?
Danger of rain 2
By Kevin ArrowsMarch 20, 2023
4 minutes read
Kevin is acertifiednetwork engineer